Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Quilt Studio Tour - Part 2

So, this is part 2 of my quilt studio tour. These are some inside shots of my studio when I first opened it. Some things are a little different as I am always adding  and changing things. This is a sort of long post so make yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the tour...

Take a walk along the stepping stones to come to my front entrance...

 This is my front entrance. The view has changed a bit- I have added window boxes, more flowers and garden fences. Notice my christmas lights? I keep them up year round- I love how the little white lights look at night and they light everything up so nicely.

My builing is split into 2 sections. 1 side is more to the Primitive style and the other side is geared to the Shabby Chic style.  This is what will greet you when you come in the door. If you didn't already know- I am a long arm quilter so that is my machine behind the cabinet full of bobbins. I love bobbins and all these are for sale. I only have about half left as I have sold a bunch of them. They are great for decoration and other craft projects.  The bottom shelf holds solid wool pieces for sale for rug hooking, wool embroidery and sewing.
 This is a slightly side view from the front door. You can see my quilts hanging from the wall. There are no windows on the long side since I wanted to be able to display quilts and a cabinet on the other side. The first quilt is Baltimore Bunnies- all hand appliqued and machine quilted.
 This is to the right. This cabinet is an old printers cabinet from a newspaper. All the shelves were covered in about an inch of thick black inks and grease. Looooooooooots of scrubbing and a couple coats of black paint on the outside and I was all set. I just love it with it's slanted shelves- perfect for displaying. The wools on this shelf are my hand dyed wools that I sell along with antique bobbins and other goodies. We also have an assortment of soy candles available which are soot free and smell awesome.

 This is an assortment of primitive bowl fillers available from the Antique Sisters. (My sister Julia and I).
 This is a view of my machine threads that I use on the quilts that come to me to get finished. Lots of thread choice with over 100 colours available. I also have variegated threads which are in a different spot. The little pink table is a 'junk' find that I painted shabby chic, distressed and added glass knobs to. This little table fits in this space perfectly and looks so cute!
 This is the view of the ceiling from the front door. This is a genuine tin ceiling from a company that has been making tin ceilings for over 100 years. You can't see from this picture but the tiles are actually covered in daisies- sooooooooooooo cute! Love my chandeliers too and can't do without my fan. The ceilings are about 11 feet or so tall - great for displaying things up high and feels really good to work in an area with a tall clearance.
 This is my heat source for the room. I don't have it on now but this is an electric fireplace and looks really cute when it's actually going. It can be used in the corner like it is or moved to a flat wall. I have a collection of hand made tags displayed on top of it with a picture of my great auntie Esther. If I get my crafting from anybody - it's her. She used to make all kinds of embroidery, quilts, knitting and sewing when she was still around. She was such a wonderful lady.  Notice also the fresh flowers- this was last summer.
 This is a sitting area for customers (and me too sometimes). I have an assortment of teas and hot chocolates available  but I always forget to offer them :(
 This the other side of the room- this long shelf area hold items for sale. I made these shelves using antique doors attached to shelving that I built.  The only thing I had to do to the doors themselves was to wash all the dirt and grime. The crackling is all natural and soooooooo wonderful.The pink cupboard barely noticeable in this picture is another 'junk' find- painted shabby chic pink, distressed, glass knobs added and vintage style fabric for the doors. This cabinet holds all the wonderful quilts that come to me to get finished.

 This is just another view of the shelves from behind my quilting machine.
Hope you enjoyed my tour and come back for the tour outside.

1 comment:

  1. It's soooo gorgeous! I wouldn't change a thing, very inviting and cozy. Do you mind if I ask how big your little cottage is? It looks roomy.

    ReplyDelete

Magic Art of the Day

Words to live by...

vintage funny Pictures, Images and Photos